Monday, January 17, 2011

Dropping My Phone, Failing a Test, Biting My Tongue, and the Moment My Favorite Pen Runs Out of Ink


You know, I hate it when my cake falls frosting-side-down. Or when I knock over or drop the roll of paper towels/toilet paper and it all unravels. I never can seem to get the edges to line up perfectly again, or get the frosting to look as pretty as it did originally. But I think that those are a couple of things I'd miss terribly if I were to never experience them again. Because maybe that moment of frustration shows me that I'm alive and human. Just like the slight paranoia felt when I know the mosquitos are biding their time and the second I let my guard down they'll begin a campaign for my blood. Followed by the agitated itch a day later, and then a sense of wonder as I look up at a masterfully painted sunrise. Or even the panicked rush of realizing I've slept in and am now officially going to be late.
I suppose the point I'm trying to convey is that while it's true that you can't have the good without the bad, maybe the bad isn't as awful as a first glance tells us. There is always something to be found beneath it all, we just have to do a small amount of work to discover it. So from now on I think I will try to take the time to look a bit more closely at anything irritating. Because maybe I simply haven't seen it for what it really is, and that's why it bothers me so. Or maybe it truly is irritating and I'm exactly right. Either way, I'm lucky to have the life I have and be surrounded by the people in it.

And I suppose that's all that really matters, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment